Last modified: July 1, 2023 (View Archived Versions)
Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit member organization that works side by side with consumers for truth, transparency, and fairness in the marketplace. As part of that mission, we are committed to following a core set of Privacy Principles.
We collect a variety of information about you, including:
- Information you provide directly to us.
- Information we obtain from other sources where permitted by law.
- Information that is combined or supplemented with information from other sources.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect for a variety of purposes, including:
- To fulfill products, services and information you’ve requested.
- To customize your experience so that we can make a better, more compelling experience for our users.
- To provide you with products, services and programs we believe may be of interest to you.
- To conduct consumer policy and mobilization activities, such as running campaigns on consumer policy issues, and informing our efforts to recruit, train and connect our consumer activists.
- To provide insights to manufacturers, regulators, researchers and other third parties to help improve the marketplace.
- As otherwise described to you at the time of collection or with your consent.
Disclosure of Information
We may share information within the Consumer Reports family and with various third parties, including:
- With our authorized service providers
- When you make a donation
- When you enter a sweepstakes or contest
- When you submit a user review
- For direct-mail campaigns
- With policymakers when you take action on a policy issue
- With manufacturers, regulators, researchers and other third parties to help improve the marketplace
- To protect our websites and users
- When required by law
You have choices regarding the use of information we collect.
- You can stop the delivery of promotional email from a CR Product by following the instructions in the message.
- You have choices about the collection and use of your information by third parties to display relevant advertisements.
- You can opt out of receiving communications from us in connection with donations, surveys, policy and mobilization emails, direct mail, and other communications.
- You can opt out of direct mail promotional offers from third parties.
- We believe that consumers have a right to know what information is being collected about them and how that information is being used. We also believe that consumers should be able to access their information and delete it whenever possible.
- We have adopted commercially reasonable information security policies and practices to help protect your information (but please note that no method of transmitting or storing electronic data is ever completely secure).
Attn: Member Support
101 Truman Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10703
© 2023 Consumer Reports, Inc.