Got a news tip to share with Consumer Reports? Here's what we are looking for, and how to safely and privately communicate with us.
What we are looking for: Information from government or industry insiders, or consumer watchdogs, related to drug, food, or product safety, as well as digital privacy.
How to get in touch with us: There are several ways for you to safely and securely communicate with Consumer Reports. While no method is 100 percent secure, we've listed several options below. The terms and conditions for each service are available on its website.
We would prefer that when you contact us, you leave your contact information so that we can get in touch with you for follow-up questions. Several of the options listed below allow you to do that, while still taking steps to make sure your communications with us remain private.
We also understand that in some cases you may want to remain completely anonymous. Some of the options also allow you to do that.
Read below to see which one is right for you.
Encrypted Messaging Apps
- WhatsApp: This free app has end-to-end encryption, so only you and Consumer Reports will see the conversation. Through WhatsApp, you can securely call us, or send us text messages, images, videos, PDFs, documents, spreadsheets, and voice messages, but your identity to Consumer Reports will not be hidden. The app includes a feature that allows you to "lock" each message with a passcode for your own personal safety. WhatsApp works internationally.
To contact us by WhatsApp, use this phone number: 914-227-2068.
Download WhatsApp for iPhone, Android, or desktop.
- Signal: Like WhatsApp, Signal is free and has end-to-end encryption, allowing you to securely call us or send us text messages, images, videos, documents, and voice messages. But again, your identity may not be hidden from Consumer Reports. No metadata is retained by Signal, and the app can be configured to delete messages automatically at a designated time interval. Signal works internationally.
To contact us by Signal, use this phone number: 914-227-2068.
Download Signal for iPhone, Android, or desktop.
- Virtru: This plugin for Google Chrome allows you to send encrypted emails. Download Virtru, then switch the email to "encrypted" mode. Note that you don't have to share your name this way, though your email address will appear in our inbox.
- Email: email@example.com. (Read more about encrypted email.)
- Postal mail: You can send an anonymous letter or package to CR by mailing it to:
ATTN: CR News Tips
101 Truman Avenue, Yonkers, NY 10703